- Invocation - Tamil Thai Vazhthu
- Welcome Address - Prof. K Muthukumar, Hallmark Business School
- College Annual Report - Dr. R. Ramesh, Director, Hallmark Business School
- Presidential Address - Shri. J. Jayaraman, Managing Trustee, Hallmark Business School
- Introduction of the Chief Guest and Guest of Honour
- Honouring the Chief Guest - Dr. R. Ramesh, Director, Hallmark Business School
- Honouring the Guest of Honour - Prof. G Karthikeyan Hallmark Business School
- Address by the Guest of Honour - Shri R Srinivasan Cluster Head, Trichy Nippon Paint India Pvt. Ltd
- Prize Distribution
- Chief Guest Address - Shri S Mahesh Anand President Nippon Paint India Pvt. Ltd
- Declaration of Awardees
- Vote of Thanks - Prof. M Pravinkumar Hallmark Business School
- National Anthem
ACADEMIC REPORT 2015 – 2016
Distinguished guest on and off the dais, ladies and gentlemen, Good evening to one and all present here.
It gives me immense pleasure to present the brief report on the academic and extracurricular activities of Hallmark Business School for the academic year 2016-2017. This academic year is certainly a milestone in Hallmark History as we have done the maximum to enhance the MBA programme. To improve the academic rigor, reality in learning and overall performance and development of the students, HBS organized various programs during the academic year 2016-2017. They are classified into 18 specific areas namely
- National Conference
- Student Conference
- MoU with NHRD
- Academic Performance
- CEO Connect Programmes
- Industry Experts Interaction Programs
- Academic Experts Interaction Programmes
- Workshops at HBS
- Training and development
- Field Visits & Industrial Visits
- Club Activities
- Centre for Entrepreneurship Development (CED) Activities
- Students’ Participations
- Alumni Interactions
- Students Awards
- Important events , Cultural and other Celebrations at HBS
- HBS Accolades
- Road Map for HBS
1. National Conference
HBS organised its third National Conference on ‘Management Challenges & Strategies for Competitiveness’ on 5th November 2016. The conference attracted around 50 research papers from academicians and research scholars from various institutions. Dr T Govindaraj, Former Dean, AVVM SPC, Thanjavur a notable social scientist, eminent economist and former member, Tamilnadu Planning Commission inaugurated the conference and interacted with the participants on ‘The Indian Economy: Current state’.
As a part of the conference, knowledge sessions were organised. Eminent speakers from academia and industry interacted with the participants Dr S N Raghavendra, Professor, BIM, Trichy interacted on ‘HR Profession: Opportunities and Challenges’, Dr A G V Narayanan, Dean-FoM, EBET Group of Institutions, Kangeyam interacted on ‘Breaking Advertisement Clutter: using Innovation’ and Prof K Balasubramanian, Managing Director, Creative Management Consultancy, Trichy interacted on ‘Entrepreneurship Opportunities”
Select research papers were published in ‘International Journal on Management Review’ – an in-house internal journal of HBS.
2. Student Conference
HBS organised fourth Student conference ‘Connect 17’on Contemporary Issues and Innovations in Business Management on 10.02.2017. Dr (Sr) Cristina Briget, Head of the Department, Commerce & Business Administration, Holy Cross College, Trichy inaugurated the conference and interacted with the participants. Dr S Sakthivel, GM – Quality Management (Retd.), BHEL, Dr Vincent, Coordinator, Commerce-IT, St. Joseph’s College Trichy, Ms Thamaraiselvi, Head, BBA, Cauvery College for Women and Dr B Prabhakaran, Head, BBA, BDUC College, Vedharaniam were the external evaluators of papers presented. Students from various institutions across Tamilnadu participated and presented papers in Finance & Accounting, Marketing, HRM functional areas and in General management. Best three papers in each category were awarded with cash prizes.
3. MoU with NHRD
HBS signed an MoU with NHRD and NHRD Trichy Chapter – Hallmark Business School Centre was inaugurated on 9th November 2016 by Mr Premanand Sivalingam, Founder and CEO, ARRANT HR Solutions (NHRD Trichcy Secretary), Mr Krishnan, Group Leader, SRF Ltd (NHRD Trichy Treasurer), Mr Sankar Ganesh, Senior Manager – HR, Bunge India Pvt. Ltd (NHRD Trichy Vice President) and they interacted with the students
4. Academic Performance
Students performed well in Anna University Examinations held during the Academic Year 2016-17. The overall Pass percentage in III Semester of 2015-17 Batch is 91.2 % and the overall pass percentage in I Semester of 2016-18 Batch is 70%. The academic performance of the students is highly commendable.
Placements for the year 2016 – 2017 were a remarkable achievement by the CCD team of HBS.In order to enhance the employability skills, Placement office implemented English and Aptitude training for both I and II Year students. This training is inter-twined throughout the MBA programme. Placement office trained students in Public Speaking, GD and Personal Interview to improve the employability skills of the students.
Placement Brochure of 8th Batch (2015-17) was released by Mr James Arun, Managing Director, Beehive Consultant Venture and LLP, Madurai on 29th November 2016.
We placed our students in companies like Karur Vysya Bank, Complete Digital Judgements, Bandhan Bank, ICICI Securities, SS Motors, City Union Bank, Woodland retail, Nippon Paint, State Street HCL Services and Axis Bank. In total 42 offers were made by the above said companies. At this juncture we thank all our prestigious recruiters for having recruited our management students.
Manapuram Gold, Capgemini, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Oppo and few other Companies are yet to visit HBS for recruitment.
Project Shri – HBS has associated with Nippon Paint for Project Shri. It is a pilot project at Trichirappali by Nippon Paint in the whole of India. 10 of our II MBA students are involved in it. Mr R Srinivasan, Cluster Head,Trichy of Nippon Paint reviewed the progress of “Project Shri” held at HBS campus and highly appreciated the work done by the team.
6. CEO Connect Programs
It is a platform for students to interact with CEOs and to learn from them. The following are the CEO Connect Programmes conducted during 2016-.17
- Mr S P Annamali, MD, PLA Group, interacted with the students on 30th August 2016.
- Ln. Lecthumaman, Managing Director, Nagappa Corporation, Trichy, shared the success story of his firm with the students.
- I MBA students participated and interacted with Mr Srinivasan K Swamy, Chairman & MD, R K Swamy BBDO in CXO Connect Session organised by CII on 8th November 2016
7. Industry Experts Interaction Programs
HBS regularly conducts Industry Experts Interaction Programs to provide a platform for the students to interact and learn from eminent people from corporate world. The following are the list of such programmes organized during 2016-17:
- Mr Senthil K Nathan, Manager, SAP Education & Placements, Cronos Group, Germany, interacted with students on ‘Enhancing Employability Skills through SAP’ on 5th August 2016
- Mr Jayachandran, Head – Partner Development, Native Lead Foundation, interacted with students on ‘Entrepreneurial Tri Spark’ on 9th August 2016.
- Mr T Saravanan, Craskills, Coimbatore, interacted with students on ‘Goal Setting’ on 9th August 2016.
- Mr J Arun, Branch Manager, Sharekhan, Trichy, interacted with students on ‘The Art of Stock Trading’ on 11th August 2016.
- Mr Kesava Prabhu, Direct Sales Force, Branch Manager, Birla Sunlife Insurance, interacted with students on ‘Insurance’ on 13th August 2016.
- Prof K Ananth, Director, Blue Hat Academy, conducted a quiz on corporate language in the name ‘Corporate Lingo’ on 17th September 2016.
- Mr Agilam Nas Jeyabalan, Director, Agilam Marketing, Madurai, interacted with II Year MBA students on ‘Opportunities in Foreign Trade’ on 28th September 2016. (Photo)
- Mr Harikrishnan, BPCL, Interacted with Students on ‘_______’ on 22nd January 2017
- Mr James Arun, Managing Director, Beehive Consultant Venture and LLP, Madurai interacted with students on ‘Career Opportunities in FMCG Sector & how to groom oneself with qualities expected by the corporate’ on 29th November 2016.
- Lt. Col. (Retd.) N S Pandian, DGM, RAMCO Cements interacted with students on ‘The Industry expectations and the skill sets present among fresh management graduates’ on 18th April 2017
8. Academic Experts Interaction Programmes
HBS regularly conducts Academic Experts Interaction Programs as a platform for the students to interact and learn from eminent people from academia. The following are the list of such programmes organized during 2016-17:
- Mr Ilango Ramasamy, Lecturer, Nizwa College of Technology, Oman, interacted with students on ‘How to Keep Yourself Motivated’ on 13th August 2016.
- Dr G Muruganantham, NIT, Trichy, interacted with II MBA Students on ‘Brand Building & Brand Positioning’ on 8th September 2016.
- Dr. N Thamaraiselvan, Associate Professor, NIT, Trichy, interacted with II MBA students on ‘Public Relations and Publicity’ on 9th September 2016.
- Dr K V Nithyananda, Assistant Professor, Legal Systems & Finance, IIM, Trichy interacted with I MBA students on ‘Intellectual Property Rights and Intellectual Property Management’ on 17th October 2016.
- Dr K Elavazhagan, Librarian & Chief Knowledge officer, IIM, Trichy interacted with I MBA students on ‘Effective Uses of Learning Resources’ on 18th October 2016.
- Dr G Suresh, Associate Professor, Faculty of Management, EBET Group of Institutions interacted with I MBA students on ‘Quantitative Aspects of Operations Management’ on 9th and 16th April 2017
9. Workshops at HBS
HBS regularly organizes workshops in different functional areas of management to bring in practice oriented learning and for improving life skills among the students. The following is the list of workshops organized in 2016-17:
- HBS organized a one-day workshop on ‘Integrated Marketing Communication’ for II MBA students on 24th September 2016. Mr V S Sashikumar, Creative Director, Praanha Marcomm Solutions, Chennai, was the resource person.
- HBS organized a one-day workshop on ‘Ignited Passionate Life’ on 28th September 2016.Mr Nicholas Francis, Human Resource Mentor, Madurai, was the resource person.
- HBS organized a SEBI Sponsored workshop on ‘Financial Planning for Young Investors’ on 08.10.2016. Mr P Sivarajadhanavel, Assistant Professor, Department of Management Studies, Kongu Engineering College, Perundurai, was the resource person.
- Centre for Entrepreneurship Development of HBS organised a one-day workshop on ‘Business Plan and Beyond’ for II MBA students on 14th October 2016. Prof K Balasubramanian, Managing Director, Creative Management Consultancy, Trichy was the resource person.
- Finance Club of HBS organised a one-day workshop on ‘Technical Analysis’ for II MBA students on 15th October 2016. Mr J Arun, Branch Manager, Sharekhan, Trichy was the resource person.
- HBS organised a three-day Professional Development Programme for II MBA Students. It was an unconventional workshop aimed at sensitising participants to themselves and groups partly through their own work in groups and through facilitator. Dr S N Raghavendra, Professor, BIM, Trichy was the facilitator of the workshop.
10. Training and development
HBS attach much importance towards training of students and faculty in order to ensure them to be in the learning curve. In this regard HBS encourages faculty to participate in FDPs, Workshops and other knowledge sessions organized by institutes like CII, NEN etc.
HBS organizes training on Business English Communication and on Aptitude for students throughout the MBA programme.
The following is the list of training and development progremmes attended by students and faculty in 2016-17
- Prof K Muthukumar attended a one day FDP on “Research and Challenges; Way Forward” organised by TSM on 13th August 2016
- Prof G Karthikeyan and Prof E Prasanna were deputed to ‘Blue Ocean Dialogue’ – a workshop to identify Untapped/Unexplored White Spaces in a Market/ Sector organized by CII and Young Indians at Trichy on 17th August 2016
- Mr Nallathambi, Senior Sales Manager, Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance, conducted management games to improve leadership and team building skills of I MBA students on 23rd August 2016
- A team of II MBA Students attended Bengaluru Space Expo 2016 (BSX 2016) organized by CII on 3rd September 2016 and listened to series of talks on ‘Space Start Up’ by eminent personalities from national and international Space Industry
- Dr R Ramesh and Prof M Pravinkumar participated in a two-day HR Conclave organized by ISTD, Indian Society for Training & Development at Pondicherry on 17th & 18th September 2016.
- Prof B Dineshkumar participated in an interactive session with Mr Kyungsoo Kim, Consulate General of South Korea, Chennai organised by CII-Yi, Trichy on 7th October 2017
- HBS organised a certificate course ‘Orange HRM’ for II MBA HR students offered by Sinai Global, a Bangalore based HR Consultancy firm on 25th October 2016.
- Prof G Karthikeyan participated in a workshop on ‘Lean Management’ organised by CII on on19th November 2016
- Prof G Karthikeyan participated in a workshop on ‘Lean Manufacturing’ organised by CII on n 26th November 2016
- HBS organised an intensive five-day Aptitude training for II MBA students from 12th to 16th December 2016
- I MBA students participated in HR Conference on ‘Role of Human Resource in Gaining Productive Employee Relations: Towards Make in India’ organised by CII on 16th February 2017.
- HBS has associated with National Entrepreneurship Network (NEN) , Funded By Wadhwani Foundation Bangalore for entrepreneurship development. I MBA students enrolled for a course of LEARNWISE , titled “Orientation Program On Entrepreneurship (WF 100)” .
- Prof B Dineshkumar participated in a four-day FDP on ‘Training of Trainers in Life Skills’ organised by NIT, Trichy from 28th February to 3rd March 2017
- Prof G Karthikeyan participated in Thought Leader Conclave on ‘Role of Public Sector Banks in the India Growth Story’ organised by SASTRA University on 11th March 2017.
- Prof G Karthikeyan participated in a five-day FDP on ‘Entrepreneurs Training Programme’ organized by Coimbatore Institute of Technology, sponsored by UGC
11. Field Visits &Industrial Visits
The following is the list of Field Visits &Industrial Visits organized in 2016-17
- I MBA students visited TVS Motors, Hosur on 12th September 2016.
- II year students visited and interacted with managers of reputed companies under the banner “Meet the Manager”
- I MBA students visited Happy Hens, Tiruchirappali on 24th September 2016.
- A team of II MBA students participated in the Foundation Day of National Research Centre for Banana (ICAR – NRCB), Tiruchirapalli on 21st August 2016.
- Another team of II MBA students visited Madhur Fruits (Thottiyam Banana Growers Group)
- A batch of II MBA Finance students visited Sharekhan Stock Broker’s office in Trichy on 22nd September 2016.
12. Club Activities
The following are the activities of various clubs during the academic year 2016-17
- Mr R D Vasudevan, Head Strategic Initiatives, URC Group of Companies, Erode, inaugurated Finance Casino Club, Rendezvous Human Resource Club and Conaro Marketing Club on 30th July 2016
- HBS Nature Club was inaugurated by Prof. P Kandasamy, Honorary Wildlife Warden, Erode on 1st February 2017
- Finance Casino Club activities
- Workshop on technical analysis
- SEBI sponsored workshop on capital markets
- A special talk on Insurance
- Nature Club Activities
- Vanavasam – a four day camping by junior batch students near Berijam Lake from 3rd to 6th April 2017
- Social Outreach Club Activities
- HBS students celebrated the Republic Day with children in an orphanage in Trichy on 26th January 2017. They conducted various games, entertainment events and provided gifts to the children
- I MBA students volunteered to organise Health Camps organised by Sharon NGO and GVN Hospitals in association with HBS held at Iniyanur and at Santhapuram
- Rendezvous Human Resource Club Activities
- Orange HRM certificate program
- Workshop on life skills
- Conaro Marketing Club
Workshop on Integrated Marketing Communication
Special talk on brand management
13. Centre for Entrepreneurship Development (CED)
Students and faculty has been deputed to participate in many entrepreneurship development programmes during 2016-17. The following is the list of such programmes
- Conference on Women role in Nation bulding,
- Startup and Blue Ocean Dialogue,
- CXO Connect Session
- Workshop on Lean Management
- Workshop on Lean Manufacturing
- “YUtry – National Conference on Entrepreneurship – Sharpen Your Saw”
- Role of Human Resource in Gaining Productive Employee Relations : Towards Make in India” by CII
- Thought Leader Conclave
- Annual Session of Young Indians Trichy Chapter and
- Visit to Banana Research Institute, Trichy and Young entrepreneur school, Trichy
- HBS students participated in a marathon to create ‘Awareness on Organ Donation’ organized by Kauvery Hospitals in association with CII
- Team of nine students from II MBA presented papers in One-day National Conference on ‘Growth Strategies for Business Development in India’ organized by PG& Research Department of Commerce (SF), Jamal Mohamed College, Trichy on 28th September 2016
- A team of MBA students participated in Ticoons – an inter-collegiate management meet organised by Jamal Mohamed College on 4th October 2016
- Mr R Vasanthakumar of II MBA won II Prize for solo singing in Tiecoons -an inter-collegiate meet organized by Jamal Mohamed College, Trichy
- A team of MBA students participated in inter-collegiate management meet organised by SASTRA University
- I MBA girls organized Tamil Hindu’s programme ‘Pen Indru’ held on 29th January 2017
- A team of I MBA participated in ‘Kalam’ – a book release event held on 29th January 2017
- Two teams of II MBA participated and presented their business ideas in ‘YUtry 17- National Conference on Entrepreneurship – Sharpen Your Saw’ organised by CII-Yi, Trichy held on 6th and 7th January 2017
- Mr Syed K Ibrahim, Manager – Inside Sales, July Systems, Bangalore an alumni of HBS interacted with our students on 24th September 2017
- Sangamam 2017 – Alumni meet was organised on 25th February 2017. 40 alumni belonging to various batches have graced the function with their presence and shared their experiences with the students.
We are happy to communicate that our Management and Trustee are giving away student awards in recognition of performance of students under various categories since inception. These awards are constituted to encourage students for improving their proficiency in academics. The awards are
- SR Trust Award for Academic Excellence
- Dr.P.Selvaraj Award for Best Outgoing Student
- Cethar Vessels Ltd Award for Best Outgoing Corporate Manager
- Mrs.Hemavathy Padmanaban Award for Academic Excellence to Girl Student
The awardees of 2016-17 batch will be announced shortly…
HBS recognizes the contribution of faculty by awarding for 100% results in various subjects in Anna University Exams held during 2016-17. The Following are the Subjects for which 100% result awards are given:
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Brand Management
- Services Marketing
- Merchant Banking and Financial Services
- Security Analysis and Portfolio Management
- Entrepreneurship Development
17.Important events , cultural and other celebrations at HBS
- 9th Batch MBA inauguration – Dr M Selvalakshmi, Principal, TSM, Madurai, inaugurated the 9th Batch MBA on 18th August 2016.
- HBS organized orientation programme for the I MBA Students which spanned for 3 days. Orientation started with Ice Breaking Session followed by sessions on ‘Technical Capability Improvement’ by Prof Syed Nazimudeen, HBS, ‘Impressing through Expressing’ by Dr K Alex, Soft Skill Trainer & Author, Trichy, ‘Academic Integrity’ by Prof K Muthukumar, HBS, ‘Excellence in Management Education’ by Dr R Thiyagarajan, HBS, ‘Discover thy Self’ by Mrs Sheela Chellaiah, Family Counselor & Nursing Tutor, ‘Management Communication’ by Dr Belarmine, SRM University, Chennai, ‘Ethics, Values, Integrity & Ownership’ by Prof M Pravinkumar, HBS, ‘Aspire – Entrepreneurship’ by Prof G Karthikeyan, HBS and ‘Think Big’ by Mr Srinivasan, Head-Operations, Chennai Medical College & Hospital, Trichy
- HBS celebrated 70th Independence Day in the campus. Dr E Ramasamy, Advisor, HBS, hoisted the tricolor flag on 15th August 2016. Faculty and students participated in the event. As a part of I-Day celebrations, students initiated campus cleaning on 16th August 2016
- HBS celebrated its 9th foundation day on 9th September 2016. Shri R Rajangam, Trustee, HBS felicitated the gathering. Mr B T Bangera, Managing Director, Hi-Tech Arai Pvt. Ltd., delivered the foundation day lecture
- Poster Competition: HBS organized a one-day poster competition on the theme ‘Business Leaders’ on 10th September 2016 for II year MBA students.
- All II year students along with faculty members enjoyed the movie ‘Joker’ at LA Cinemas, Trichy on 16th August 2016
- Hostellers enjoyed Moon Light Dinner with faculty on 18th August 2016
- HBS celebrated freshers’ day on 24th August 2016. Seniors welcomed juniors to HBS family.
- Students organized ‘Estrella Noche’ – a star night programme fully loaded with fun. Students staged their talents in singing, dancing, mime and poetry. Faculty members too participated and exhibited their talents.
- II MBA students along with few faculty members went for trekking to Thalamalai hills near Namakkal on 11th September 2016
- HBS celebrated women’s day on 8th March 2017. As a part of it Ms. Sheela, Principal, Manasamithra Vidya Peetam, an Educational & Training Centre for the Differently abled Children interacted with MBA students
- Radio Mirchi conducted a one-day fun filled events for students in HBS campus
- Students celebrated Diwali in the campus on 26th October 2016.
- II MBA students conducted a two-day cultural feast “ICARUS” and organised various competitions and cultural events on 26th & 27th of October 2016.
- HBS had its 9th sports meet on 25th and 26th of February 2017. Mr Sathamussain, Alumni of HBS inaugurated the Sports Meet
- HBS organised Explore-17 an adventurous management meet on 10th and 11th March 2017, first of its kind in Tamilnadu to provide a platform for young graduates to explore their leadership skills and team player qualities. Twenty teams from various institutions participated and experienced the adventure and thrill in the events of the game. Winners were awarded with cash prizes
- HR Concentration Area Selection Process for Batch 2016-2018 students was conducted at HBS on 13th May 2017. Ms.M. Meera , Process Associate – BNP Paribas, Chennai, Mr K Srinivas, Head – Marketing & Operations, Chennai Medical College, Trichy and Mr S R Ramesh, Sadhana Learning Academy, Chennai conducted the Screening Process for I MBA Students who wish to pursue their career in HR ,Marketing and Finance domain respectively.
- As an enrichment to the curriculum, Enterprise desk research is added as a self study course and the presentation of the same is scheduled on 31st May 2017
18.HBS Accolades in 2016-17
- HBS is a CRISIL rated Institution
- Ranked 19th Amongst Top 20 Emerging B-school Of India By Higher Education Review 2017
- HBS Has Been Rated As One Of The Best Top B-schools In Tamil Nadu & India By Businessline 2017
- HBS Has been rated as AA+ BY Careers 360 in the year 2017.
- Ranked 3rd Amongst Best B-schools In Trichy By Business Today,2016
19.Road map for HBS.
- HBS is taking many initiatives to strengthen the MBA programme offered and thereby to differentiate ourselves in the field of management education.
- We are planning to get NAAC accreditation by the end of the Academic Year 2017-18
- We are planning to become an Autonomous Institution by 2020
At this juncture let me thank the management, Faculty members, students, Alumni, recruiters, media and people from corporate for their contribution in all our endeavors. We solicit the support of all stakeholders in our future endeavors and in the making of HBS as a reputed business school in this part of the country.
Thank you one and all ……..